Is NBN Internet Connection Faster than Cable in Australia?

Cable vs NBN

With the National Broadband Network (NBN) still being rolled out, it’s fair to say that while some Australians are in the know, there are still a lot who aren’t. To help you get a better understanding of NBN, its benefits and the differences between it and existing cable networks, we’ve got the essential details for you.

But remember, with the NBN roll-out plan on-going until 2020, you could still be a couple of years away from having access to the new broadband connection. So don’t worry, while you might not have it yet, you will – or should – have access to it before the decade ends.

The Average Speed Of The FTTN NBN So Far Is 46Mbps

What is NBN?

The NBN program is an ambitious one. It intends to ensure 93% of Australians are connected to high-speed broadband and the remaining 7% have an average connection – where before they had none.

Essentially, the Australian government is working to ensure everyone in the country has access to a usable broadband connection. Not only is it working to ensure all of Australia is online, but that the majority of those connections allow for high-speed internet access of up to 100 megabytes (Mbts).

But, before you get too excited, not every home will receive that top speed – although more should than do currently. The reason for that is because of the existing internet cabling infrastructure. Much of it is simple copper wiring which doesn’t allow for great internet speed. The NBN is installing fibre optic cabling and an upgraded version of the copper wiring, called coaxial cabling.

By using materials that make it easier for broadband download speeds to become faster, more homes will have access to faster download speeds. But, the top speed available depends on two things:

  • Where you live and the existing cabling.
  • Which price plan you opt for?

That’s right, while you won’t be paying for the installation of NBN, you will still pay for your on-going internet provision.

NBN Broadband Speeds

At the moment, cable broadband provides speeds of between 24 and 100 Mbts, but not everyone in Australia has access to it. Once the NBN program is complete and everyone has internet access, the speeds available will be from 12Mbts to 100 Mbts.

As you can see, the lower speed is slower than the existing slower speed on offer from cable. But there is another difference too. Due to the existing configuration of cable, not all customers get the high speeds they’re paying for. So, even if you’re paying for 24 Mbs, you might be getting a slower speed, closer to the 12 Mbs on offer from NBN.